Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cloudscape #3 - a quick study

Missed yesterday's Sky Friday post; we decided to go on a 7-mile hike up into the mountains near Silverton, which ended up being an all-day affair with driving.  I had some photos picked out, but I'll just wait.

In the meantime, here's the latest cloud piece.  It's a departure from the previous two in that: 1) it's not based on a photo; 2) it was done fast-fast - about 22 minutes.   It was completed Thursday.

I'd call it a "plein air hybrid" - the cloud pictured was outside my studio window in mid-afternoon.  So, that was my "model".  However, I decided to go with a more sunset type palette with the colors.  Not necessarily 100% realistic, but I was going from a combination of memory and imagination for the colors.

It's on a dark blue sheet of Colourfix paper - my least favorite surface to paint on.  However, as I've done in the past, I used sandpaper on the surface, and that improved it significantly.

Looking at it the next day, I didn't like it very much, and I'll probably re-use the paper at some point.  But, I thought I'd share it anyway, and I'll probably put it aside for the time being instead of immediately stripping it.

I've been considering the direction I want this series to go, and after looking through some online and printed sources for inspiration, I've thought of something I think will make these work a bit better.

I'm off to work on the idea, and hopefully, will have something to post tomorrow.

Sunsets in My Mind
pastel on Colourfix paper
9x12 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...