Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Four Corners & Colorado Plateau series - #10, 11

Only two paintings completed yesterday, as I got a late start in the day painting.  

Juniper slope
6x8 inches
oil on canvas paper

What drew me to this scene, both as a photo and as a painting subject, were the clusters of juniper trees as a series of abstract forms, of shades of green against the sandy slope.  More practice rendering trees, in warm and cool green-grays.  The slope wasn't really pink like this, but my paint was getting tacky so fast once it was on the paper, I couldn't fix it easily.  

Approaching the monocline
6x8 inches
oil on canvas paper

I got into a groove with this painting, and spent more time detailing it out - the Jimi Hendrix tribute CD seemed to work well for that!  Organ Rock monocline is angling in from the north towards the highway, and the tilt of the Navajo sandstone becomes the remarkable feature of the land.  






2 comments:

  1. I really love these! I wish I had done them...just the right scene and spare the details. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey - thank you so much for your comment; I'm a big fan of your work and your style, so it really means a lot.

    I am delighted to know that some of my passion/obsession for the Colorado Plateau landscape is making its way into this series of paintings. I suppose that is one of the primary goals of many artists.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...