Monday, November 1, 2010

Transition - #28 in FC-CP series

A good thing I didn't post both of the completed paintings yesterday, since today I have been taking care of  "administrative" issues that I have been putting off for a while, which managed to keep me from getting any painting done today as I'd planned.

Next in the Roadtrip Series is this piece, shown earlier in-progress.  Thus far, it has been the most difficult of all the oil paintings.  The combination of trying to balance the level of detail included, while going for accuracy with the shapes, values and temperature of the various elements...whew.   It would be easy to spend many more sessions adjusting and tweaking the painting, but that's not my goal with this series.  Perhaps later, on a bigger canvas, after many more paintings under my belt.

Titled "Transition" because it represents an overlap of the two geological features:  the Echo Cliffs in the distance continuing on their south-north orientation, and the base of what soon becomes the Vermillion Cliffs as we begin heading west along Hwy 89.  The proximal cliff-slope formation is warmer in color and deeper in shadow, owing both to atmospheric perspective and the colors of the rock layers themselves.  Small debris slides from lighter eroded sandstone cliffs form in the shallow troughs of the base red sandstone and mudstone slope.   

Transition
9x12 - oil on canvas

As with #27, the clouds were what was happening outside my window yesterday at the time I was ready to work on the sky.  Cirrus re-shaped to angled streaks, and in the same orientation as the cliffs, which I felt worked here.  

Incidentally, this post makes #200 for my blog.  Another blogging milestone, doubled since early May.  

And, a few more photos.  Last night's sunset, and a few from the Hidden Valley trail we hiked near Moab on Thursday.

Halloween sky

At the trailhead.  The trail heads towards the slope and rises about 650' in elevation along the left side


Looking back at the LaSals from Hidden Valley, above and south of Moab.

Where the valley ends.  The trail continues west towards the distal slickrock areas to meet with another double-track trail and eventually the Colorado River.  

Further down the trail, looking back at the notch pictured above.

Backlit grasses along the trail

Another view of the LaSals and Moab area from a high point along the trail on the way back.









2 comments:

  1. I really like your work! I heard you stopped by Artisans. I think your work would be a great addition to the group.

    Interestingly, we like some of the same blogs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan - thank you so much for stopping by! I had a great chat with Patty yesterday at the Artisans gallery, and I'm sure I would really enjoy being part of your group there :). I'm glad you feel my work would fit in well at Artisans.

    It's great to find a fellow art blogger who is local, too. Perhaps we can get together in the near future - it would be great to have someone(s) to paint with, either in the studio or plein air. I couldn't find an email contact for you on your blog, but mine is in my profile if you want to get in touch.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...