Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Solstice and Holidays to all!

Busy, busy today!  As is always the case, I didn't have enough time to get everything done that I'd hoped before we head out tomorrow.  I did finish another painting in the latest series, which I will have to have set to post after I can take a photo.

For those, such as myself, who are creatures of light, it's always exciting when the winter solstice arrives and the days begin to get longer again.  It won't be physically noticeable for a while, but psychologically, it means a lot.  And, of course, yesterday's solstice was marked by a rare celestial event - a lunar eclipse.  Apparently, the last time it fell on the solstice was over 350 years ago.

We haven't seen the sun here since Friday, due to the same storm system that is wrecking havoc across the pacific coast through Utah.  I wasn't expecting that I'd be able to see the eclipse, let alone photograph it.  My friend Jala reminded me just in time, and when I went on my kitchen deck, I had a clear view of the moon...through a thin layer of fog.

I didn't stay out for the entire event, as it was cold and wet, but here are a couple of photos.  A clear night, a 400mm telephoto lens and a sturdy tripod would have given phenomenal results.   But, these are better than I expected for being hand-held and shot through fog @ 200mm.

Shots were taken about 15 min. apart:

Solstice Eclipse #1


Solstice Eclipse #2


I want to also wish everyone safe travels and a happy holidays, and a Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it as a religious holiday.  And thank you all for your support, comments and readership of my humble little blog; I greatly appreciate all of you!   

I look forward to the New Year and wish you all the best in your artistic endeavors for 2011.

Cheers,

-Sonya





4 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots! thanks for staying and up taking them. It was cloudy in our part of the world - but I am sure I would have fallen asleep. Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helen! I normally would have been asleep or at least reading in bed by then, but just *happened* to still be up and online.

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay!!! So cool.
    Did you stay up to see it become complete and turn red? Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I stayed up until about midnight. It was too cold to keep hanging outside at that point. I wish I could have seen it turn red, though - that would have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...