Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Southern Utah landscape in oil - 6x6 inches

Not part of the official road trip series along Hwy 160, but based on a highway snapshot nonetheless...

Against Brooding Skies
6x6 inches - oil on 1/4 wood panel
© 2012, S.Johnson
From a shot taken on the way home from our Moab trip 2 weeks ago.  There is something about pale sandstone rock against darker skies that always appeals to me.

Paint was pretty tacky and difficult to work with, but I was more interested in experimenting with color mixes for this landscape, since I'm contemplating taking my oils along on our upcoming trip to Cedar Mesa/Comb Wash on Friday.

Wayne just purchased a used 24' motorhome, which allows much greater options for taking my plein air painting operations on the road.   The possibilities are exciting!



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work in a new medium Sonya. Were you just wanting to try something new with the oils? You are achieving the same wonderful textures as the pastels. Have fun in the new motor home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    What fun to have the new motor home -- a studio on wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ruth. With the oils, I'm mostly just wanting/needing to get more skilled with them as a medium, since they are so vastly different than pastels. And, I'm trying to keep my style loose, which is also hard.

    Thanks so much, LeAnn - as much as we enjoy traveling around our region, the RV was something we've talked about getting for a while now. I honestly didn't expect it to happen so quickly, but Wayne found the ad on Craigslist and everything worked out!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...