Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lone Tree - plein air pastel

From late this afternoon.

Lone Tree and Passing Clouds - plein air
pastel on turquoise cardstock - 8.5x11"
© S.Johnson
Also at Santa Rita Park, looking across to the flat hillside that makes up the edge of the dog park.  The terminus of Smelter Mtn. slope is in the background.

We've been having weather conditions that are similar to the summer monsoons, although without the intense winds, thunder and lightning...or rain.

The skies are clear in the early a.m., and by mid-morning, clouds are building over the mountains.  Today,  the sky filled completely before I could head out and paint, and then we actually got rain.  The main storm had cleared away by about 4 p.m., so I headed out to slip in a quick painting.

It's on a new color - turquoise - of a pack of Colorbok cardstock I bought from Walmart.  These are dark jewel tones, and the smaller size makes them really easy to do for a quick daily painting.

---
From our deck today:


6 comments:

  1. So pretty, Sonya! I love the color harmony in this painting. The turquoise blue of the sky goes so beautifully with the reddish earth tones. And the gray tones of the clouds really highlight the value of the other colors. Gorgeous!

    We received a nice 1-inch rain yesterday. It was such a blessing. Glad to hear you are getting a little rain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking! The only part of flying I enjoy is looking at clouds from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Darla. I was happy that I could include some earthy colors here, instead of just greens; they are a nice balance to the sky and cloud colors, aren't they :)?

    Thanks, Helen.

    LeAnn, I am total agreement with you about flying. Definitely not my thing, but I get a window seat if I can so I can view and photograph the earth and clouds. Thanks for your comments, as always :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya this is SO beautiful! You have truly captured that amazing look of the sun behind the clouds. It's stunning Sonya. I think it's my favorite one yet! Until you post the next one that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks, Crystal! That backlit effect is hard to capture, I think, so I'm glad you like it :). I'll keep plugging away at these skies; they keep me on my toes, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...